A great way to celebrate the change of seasons with your children is to make a craft together. Since fall is on its way, today’s craft project is one that embraces the fall festival and harvest time theme. Read below to learn how to make this scarecrow craft with your young kids.
Craft supplies you will need to make this scarecrow:
- Paper plate
- Yellow construction paper
- Large googly eyes
- Brown foam board or construction paper
- Twine or string
- Markers or paint
- Craft glue
Here’s how to make the scarecrow craft:
- Have the child color or paint the paper plate. This craft project is meant to spark the child’s imagination, so let him or her choose whatever color they want. There’s no rule scarecrows can only come in certain shades!
- Set the plate aside to dry for a few minutes and work on the accessories.
- In the meantime, help the child measure and cut out 1-inch thick strips of construction paper. You will need approximately 10 of them. Designing scarescrow hair is not exact science, so this may vary slightly depending on the hairstyle you choose.
- Help the child draw a small hat on a piece of foam board or construction paper and cut it out.
- Make the scarecrow’s nose by also cutting out a small triangle.
- Cut a piece of twine or string for the mouth, about 6 inches long.
- Once the plate is dry, show the child how to layer the strips of construction paper to form hair for the scarecrow. Glue them to the plate and trim the ends as necessary.
- Place the hat on top of the hair and attach it with the craft glue.
- Add the googly eyes, nose, and mouth to complete the scarecrow’s face.
- Allow kids to add any other finishing touches, like drawing flowers, a crow, bow tie, or other details to their scarecrows crafts.